Wine Bottle Sizes and Storage Options
Wines and Champagne come in a variety of bottle sizes with names relating to the size of the bottle and some sizes have even more specific names related to the shape of the bottle or what might be contained within the bottle. The size of the bottle can also determine if you need standard wine racks or a Magnum Wine Bottle Rack.
Wine Bottle Sizes
Split or Piccolo - 187ml is equal to 1/4 of a standard bottle of wine or a single glass of wine. Split bottles are generally about 7 1/2" tall and 2 3/8" in diameter.
Demi or Half - 375ml is equal to half a standard bottle of wine or about 2 glasses. Demi bottles are usually about 9 1/2" tall and 2 1/4" to 2 3/8" in diameter.
Standard - 750ml is the standard size for a wine bottle. A standard bottle contains about 5 glasses worth of wine and varies from 11 1/2" to 13" in height and can have a diameter ranging from 2 7/8" to 3 1/2". There are several different shapes of standard wine bottles often relating to what is contained within them or the region the wine comes from.
- Small Champagne
- Pinot Noir
Magnums- 1.5L is equivalent to 2 standard bottles of wine and are usually about 14" tall with a diameter around 4". You may also hear 1.5L bottles called Turley or Champagne bottles which are names that relate to the vineyard or the contents.
Did You Know?
How many glasses are in a bottle of wine?
- Split (or Picolo) 187ml Bottle holds 1 glass of wine
- Demi (or Half) 375ml Bottle holds 2 glasses of wine
- Standard 750ml Bottle holds 5 glasses of wine
- Magnum 1.5L Bottle holds 10 glasses of wine
- Jeroboam 3L Bottle holds 20 glasses of wine
- The largest bottle, a 30L Midas Bottle holds 200 glasses of wine!
How many bottles are in a case of wine?
- The standard US case of wine usually contains 12 bottles (9L) of wine
- Champagne and other high end wines are often sold in cases of 6
- Cases from other countries may contain more or fewer bottles than 12
Best Wine Racking Based on Bottle Dimensions & Size
When it comes to wine storage, you want to choose a wine rack that will properly store your bottles. Unfortunately, wine bottle sizes & dimensions are not always consistent. The most common wine bottle dimensions are 3 – 3.2 inches in diameter & roughly 12 inches in height. Champagne bottles are slightly larger, closer to 3.5 inches in diameter & 12.5 inches in height.
Your favorite wines come in different shapes and sizes, so it’s important to choose racking that will best store your collection. All of our wine racking is designed to comfortably store most standard 750ml bottles. We also have created specialty racks for storing splits and magnum or larger (our Prestige Series Wine Racks collection and our Custom racking line).
Wine Bottle Size
Wine Racking Recommendations
350ml - 2 3/8" diameter
Dessert wines, Splits
750ml - 2 7/8" to 3 3/8" diameter
Bordeaux, Cabernet, most Whites & Reds, small Champagne
1.5L - 3 9/16" to 4" diameter
Magnums, large Champagnes, Turley & other wider bottles
4L-6L - 5" diameter
Double Magnum, Jeroboam
Choosing a Material
We offer wine racks in traditional wood as well as modern metal (powder-coated stainless steel & milled aluminum) and acrylic. All materials are designed to withstand the temperatures and humidity requirements of a typical wine cellar. It really comes down to your style choice.
When it comes to Wood Wine Racks, we offer several species options. All of our racks are made of the species of wood listed (not some softer wood with a stain applied to give it the color of a particular species). All of our cabinetry pieces are made from marine-grade real-wood veneer plywood with either real wood trim or real wood edge banding (depending on the rack). We've chosen our wood species because they do not require a stain or finish to last the lifetime of your cellar, but we do offer a variety of stains and finishes upon request.
About Our Wood Choices
- Pine - We use Northern White Pine sustainably harvested from Maine. White Pine is a creamy white or pale straw color but darkens to a rich golden tan.
- Oak - We mostly use Red Oak in our racking products but have White Oak available upon request. Red oak is a pinkish light brown with dark "rays" in the grain.
- Red Grandis - Red Grandis is a plantation grown hardwood sustainably sourced from Uruguay. Known for its consistent grain and color which is a light pinkish brown it is similar to genuine Mahogany or Cherry.
- Mahogany - We use carefully selected Dark Marenti Mahogany that is sustainably sourced from Malaysia and Indonesia. Our mahogany is a rich red brown in color.
- Black Walnut - Black Walnut is one of the most dense hardwoods available with a rich warm dark brown color that his highly resistant to decay.
The stains and finishes that we use are low V.O.C. and are hand-applied before rack assembly.